Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 7

For my 7th day at the clinic, I got to play the role of security! I have always wondered what they did besides just standing around/sitting looking super serious. Apparently a few days before I came into the clinic, someone had come into the clinic and passed security without raising any eyebrows. Later, he was found stealing from people's purses and the cops had to be called! The security guard did not hesitate to tell me this story almost immediately after I got to the clinic. So I tried to keep a close eye on everyone coming in the clinic. But I soon found myself day dreaming and finding it more difficult to focus on my designated task. However, I somehow made it through for an hour (It felt like days had gone by).

My experience as a security guard taught me to many things. First, for every good that someone does, there will always be someone scheming an evil plan. It's so sad that someone would walk into a non-profit clinic and steal. Second, despite how awful that situation was, I guess it serves as a reminder for people to be aware of their surroundings and keep an eye out for crazy people. But this applies to every day living. Sometimes people, including myself, get caught up in the consistency and comfort of every day living and forget to take a good look around and make sure that everything is okay. My third and final realization was that security guards have a really hard and boring job. I definitely gained a new appreciation for all the security guards that work all around the world. They stay alert and focused for our protection and safety. I will always be grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment