I went in on Day 10 thinking that I still needed more hours to complete the 10 hr requirement. So I met with Samantha and she directed me to Development Department of the Clinic to help out with some things for the Art Auction. She later told me that she knew that I had completed the hours but since I was already there and there were things that needed to get done, she decided she would tell me at the end :) But either way, I did not mind one bit. Actually, I was sad that this would be my last day at the clinic.
To be honest, when I first learned that we would have to volunteer at a clinic for Cell, I dreaded it thinking it would just be a hassle. But ver the last few months, I have definitely changed my opinion. Sure, it was difficult to find time to volunteer in between classes and lab but it was definitely a great experience! It was eye-opening in many ways. Sometimes I find myself get caught up in the chaos of everyday living and forget about the thousands of people who don't have the opportunities that I have. Every time I saw a patient walk into the clinic, I was reminded to be grateful for the simple things in life that I usually take for granted. I do not even think twice before making a doctor's appointment or agreeing to have a procedure done. But a lot of these people are afraid to go to the doctor since they know they can't afford it.
It was also really great to see all the medical professionals donate their time for the sake of helping these people. That was definitely inspiring. In today's world, it is rare to see someone do something for another person without getting something in return. In a few months, I will enroll in a Physician Assistant program and I pray that I do not become just another medical professional who cares only about his/herself. I hope that I have the opportunity to return to San Jose Clinic or a similar clinic as a a professional and donate my time to help those in need.
Thanks Dr. R for giving us this opportunity to volunteer. I really learned a lot and enjoyed myself!
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment