Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 6

Although I have been working at the Clinic for sometime, it was not until Day 6 that I really got to learn about the Clinic. The more I learned about the Clinic, the more fortunate I felt to be a part of it!
The San Jose Clinic has been in Houston for over 85 years. It is currently the oldest continuously operating charity clinic in the country!! I had no idea! It was in 2006 that the clinic developed a plan to construct a new 55,000 square-foot facility in Downtown Houston by 2010. It is weird to think that a couple of weeks before I started volunteering, the San Jose clinic was somewhere else!
I also learned that the clinic has an annual expense of about 4. 3 million dollars - most of which is earned via contributions. Every year, the clinic has about 30,000 logged visits which include dental, primary and specialty care visits. The clinic distributes almost 1 million dollars worth of pharmaceuticals.
It's amazing to think that this Clinic in Houston is doing so much for our community. I am so glad that we got the opportunity to get involved with this Clinic this semester!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, great blogs and keen insights. But I am worried that there are only 6 when there should be 10! What happened? Dr.r.

    ReplyDelete