Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 4

Unlike all the other times I had volunteered, I helped out with medical records during my 4th trip to the clinic. I had heard a lot of horror stories of what actually went down at medical records but I figured I should experience it for myself. To my surprise..I actually liked it! I worked with Kyley. Our main responisbility was to file the folders that were taken out during the patients' appointment.
The sad part is that most of the medical records are stored in boxes. The clinic does not have enough cabinets. And this makes it difficult for the older volunteers to pick up several boxes stacked together and get on the floor to look through and find the folder that they need. So it was nice that we could help them out during our brief time there.
There's an older volunteer by the name of Jack who who works in medical records. He is probably close to 80. He has a thick Brooklyn accent and is a hoot! He says the funniest things and it definitely makes the experience interesting. to say the least. I had heard a lot of stories about Jack so it was good to finally meet him. It's motivating to see someone that well into their years being proactive in the community. Although Jack is stuck in his ways and wants everything done the "Jack way", I think it is very admirable that he takes time out of his day to come to the clinic and help out! It was deinitely inspiring:)

No comments:

Post a Comment