Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 3

All I could think about during volunteering was how much I missed elementary school. During our time at the clinic, Vania and I had to remove crayons from ziplog bags and place them into another box full of crayons, according to color. So after we had all the crayons in one place, we began to create little ziplog packages for the children who come to the clinic. This included placing three cryaons in each bag along with a cut out of either a butterfly or a lady bug (all of which Vania and I cut out individually) along with tongue dispenser so that the kids could create a puppet. The packages were to be given to the children while they sat in the waiting room.

Cutting out what seemed like a million pieces of clipart, made me miss my days in elementary school. I have always loved anything to do with arts and craft so I enjoyed putting together these little packages. I know that as a child, I would have loved to work on something when waiting at the doctors office. So it made me happy knowing that these packages would bring a smile to a child's face. And as usual, the whole process was very relaxing because Vania and I talked about everything under the sun, as usual.

So after we had assembled these packages, we then unwrapped books that were given to the clinic during Christmas time. It was like Christmas morning all over again - wrapping paper and bows filled the area in which we were working. What I enjoyed even more was seeing the books that I had grown up reading. I have always loved reading, even as a child, so it was not surprising that every cover I recognized brought back a lot of memories.

Overall, this volunteering experience was great. It was a wonderful walk down memory lane. The experience allowed me to get in touch with my childish side and I loved every minute of it. From arranging the crayons according to color, to cutting out the images, to opening the wrapped books, the entire two hours was a blast. And I can't wait to go back to see what they have in store for me the next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment